Welcome back, Shirley-Mastic! I’m in your inbox to catch you up on everything you need to know about what’s happening around town.
First, today’s weather:
Mostly sunny. High: 87, low: 71.
Here are the top 3 stories in Shirley-Mastic today:
- The Smith Point Sprint Triathlon is set for Aug. 7 in Shirley. Participants will start their power cycle swimming at the Narrow Bay and create a 16K bike ride from the Smith Point Bridge to the Wertheim National Refugee. (Local Races)
- For those needing career counseling, MMS Community Library can help! Reach out to make an appointment at www.communitylibrary.org/programs or call 631 657-3743. The sessions will be held on Aug. 6. (Patch)
- Suffolk police said if a person goes inside an unlocked car but does not steal cash or any items, it’s not considered a crime. Holbrook resident Deanna Salentino provided a video of someone trying to get inside her car, which was unlocked but did not steal anything. According to the police, the suspect did not commit a crime. (News12)
Today in Shirley-Mastic:
- “On the Road” Messy Meetups at Southaven Park. (10 a.m.)
- Social Worker — MMS Community Library. (5 p.m.)
- On the Road — Sandcastles at Smith Point Beach. (5:30 p.m.)
- Art Club at Mastic Rec Center — MMMS Community Library. (6 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Suffolk Times: “The Cutchogue Fire District has proposed a remodel of its existing firehouse that would nearly double the square footage, with a $16 million bond vote coming up in September.” (Suffolk Times via Instagram)
- Girl Scouts of Suffolk County: “National S’mores Day is coming up on Aug. 10, recognizes this iconic campfire treat historically loved by Girl Scouts dates back to 1925! Celebrate your love of s’mores with friends and family around a campfire.” (Girl Scouts of Suffolk County via Instagram)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, North Shirley: “Have items that are too big and taking up space? Complete Junk Hauling will be happy to remove those items for you! We have all the tools to break big items down into small pieces!” (Nextdoor)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Dishwasher — Canoe Place Inn & Cottages. (Details)
- Housekeeping Positions — Canoe Place Inn & Cottages. (Details)
- Part-Time Night Auditor (Monday & Tuesday) at Canoe Place Inn & Cottages. (Details)
- Guest Service Agent — Canoe Place Inn & Cottages. (Details)
- Restaurant Server — Canoe Place Inn & Cottages. (Details)
- Hotel Maintenance Manager at Canoe Place Inn. (Details)
- Open Interviews for Housekeeping — Wednesday, Aug. 3 at 9 a.m. (Details)
- Add your job listing
You’re officially in the loop for today. I’ll catch up with you bright and early tomorrow morning with a new update!
— Debora Whitehead
About me: Have a story idea? Please get in touch with me! I would love to hear from you! Wife, mom, foodie, traveler, and nature lover.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Shirley-Mastic Daily? Contact me at [email protected]